Arki's Blog – Wer alles glaubt, muss nichts wissen.

30. Mai 2009

20.000? *Update

Filed under: Politik,Wirres Zeug — mrarkadin @ 23:40
Tags: , ,

Laut der Times wurden in den letzten Zügen des Bürgerkrieges in Sri Lanka über 20.000 tamilische Zivilisten getötet, die meisten durch Beschuss der Regierungstruppen. Die Opferzahl ist drei mal höher als die offiziellen Zahlen. Die Sri lankische Regierung beharrt darauf, das seit dem 27. April keine schweren Waffen mehr eingesetzt wurden, und die Schutzzone für 100.000 Tamilen beachtete. Sie beschuldigte die Tamilischen Befreiungstiger, welche sich unter den Zivilisten verbargen, für alle zivilen Opfer.
Aber nach Luftaufnahmen, offiziellen Dokumenten, Zeugenaussagen & Sachverständigenaussagen startete die Regierungsarmee ab Ende April ein 3 Wochen andauerndes Sperrfeuer.
Vertrauliche UN-Dokumente verzeichneten fast 7.000 Tote in der Schutzzone bis Ende April. Nach UN-Quellen stieg dann die Ziffer an, bis zum 19. Mai wurden täglich 1.000 Zivilisten getötet, ein Tag, nachdem der Anführer der Befreiungstiger getötet worden war.

Nach einem weiteren Times-Artikel wurde dem obersten Gehilfe des Generalsekretärs der Vereinten Nationen, Ban Ki Moon, die hohe Opferzahl von 20.000 schon seit über einer Woche erzählt, trotzdem erwähnte Ban Ki Monn während seiner Besichtigung im Kampfgebiet diese nicht.

Es gibt immer mehr Aufforderungen für ein Kriegsverbrechertribunal.

Sri Lanka officially declared victory in its 26-year civil war with the Tigers early last week after killing almost all of their leadership, including Velupillai Prabhakaran, their founder, in a tiny patch of coconut grove on the northeastern coast.

Backed by China, Russia and other allies, Sri Lanka also easily defeated a proposal for a war crimes inquiry at a special session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The new civilian death toll figure has prompted new calls for an inquiry, which could still be ordered by Ban Ki Moon, the UN Secretary-General, or by Navi Pillay, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.

Human rights groups, aid workers and numerous civilian witnesses have accused the Tigers and government forces of repeatedly firing on non-combatants in violation of international humanitarian law. The Tigers have also been accused of using civilians as human shields and recruiting children forcibly, while the army has been accused of deliberately shelling hospitals in the conflict zone.

Brad Adams, Asia director of Human Rights Watch, told The Times: “There’s no doubt there’s a need for a war crimes inquiry. The whole operation has been done in secret and the scale of deaths is so large that it has to be investigated. This is not going to go away.”

The UN and the Red Cross also complained today that the Sri Lankan Government was still refusing to provide aid workers with full access to the former conflict zone despite a direct appeal by the UN Secretary General.

Noch ein Artikel auf Reuters.

Sri Lanka dementiert heftig die Zahlen. Noch ein BBC-Artikel.

The figures published in The Times newspaper in the UK – quoting official documents and witness accounts – is far higher than previously thought.

A senior official from Sri Lanka’s Centre for National Security told the BBC the accusations were totally false.

The UN says that there are no confirmed estimates of civilian casualties.

The last time it gave an estimate was about two weeks before the end of the war, when it said that 6,500 people had died.

But the UN Resident Co-ordinator for Sri Lanka, Neil Buhne, has told the BBC that he has no final figure in part because access to displaced people in camps is restricted by the government.

Aid agencies point out that its insistence that only about 110,000 civilians were trapped in fighting in the north – and its condemnation of UN figures saying the true figure was twice that – was followed by more than 250,000 civilians emerging from the area.


Ein Artikel auf Zeit Online über den schlechten Zustand in den Flüchtlingslagern.

Am Mittwoch gab es im UN-Menschenrechtsrat keine Merheit für die Untersuchung von Kriegsverbrechen beider Parteien. „Die Regierung Sri Lankas setzte mithilfe Chinas und Indiens durch, dass ausschließlich die Vergehen der LTTE untersucht werden.“
Wie es nach den Behauptungen der Times mit den Untersuchungen ausschaut, bleibt abzuwarten. Oder ob doch wahrscheinlich mögliche Kriegsverbrechen der Regierung unter den Tisch gekehrt werden…
—————
Update: 31:05.09 22:51: The Guardian veröffentlichte nun einen Artikel mit Aussagen von Kindern, welche in der Endphase des Bürgerkrieges in Sri Lanka von der LTTE gezwungen wurden, auf deren Seite zu kämpfen.
Kinder, welche eine Waffe tragen konnten, wurden eingezogen, unabhängig von ihrem Alter. Manche waren erst 11 oder 12. Sie erzählten den Eltern, ein Kind wäre genug, wenn sie also 5 Kinder hatten, nahmen sie 4 Kinder mit, und ließen ihnen eins.
Die Kinder wurden von der Regierung nun von ihren Familien getrennt und in Internierungslagern gesteckt. Dann vor einem Gericht gestellt und für ein Jahr zu einer Gefangenschafft in Ambepusse verurteilt. Dies ist die Standardstrafe für alle, welche eine Mitgliedschaft zur LTTE gestehen, selbst wenn sie dazu gezwungen wurden.

The 16-year-old is now being held in what the government describes as a „rehabilitation centre“, a jungle camp built on a hillside outside the town of Ambepusse in the south of the country. Here children like her, who were forced to fight on the front line in the final stages of the war in Sri Lanka, gave the Observer compelling evidence of war crimes committed by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).

The camp currently houses 95 children, with another 200 on their way from internment camps around the town of Vavuniya in the north of the country.

The accounts of these boys and girls who surrendered to the Sri Lankan army were shocking. They say they were dragged screaming from their families and sent into action with only a few days of basic training. The older members of the LTTE warned them to keep firing and advancing, or they would be shot by their own side from behind.

Darchiga said she was shot in the stomach by the army two days after arriving on the front line, having been forced to pick up a rifle and go forward to fight. She said LTTE cadres left her bleeding for four hours before she received any medical treatment.

According to her testimony, the Tigers had warned every family that those children who could carry a weapon were expected to join up, regardless of age. Some as young as 11 and 12 had been taken, she said. „They told families that one child was enough. If they had five children, they would take four and leave just one.“

She finally managed to escape with a group of civilians, but only after the Tigers had fired on them. She was separated from her family, who were sent to the internment camps at Vavuniya, and taken to a court, which ordered her to be detained at Ambepusse for a year – the standard treatment for those who confess to LTTE membership, even if they had been coerced.

Thambirasa Jagadiswary, 20, and her brother Thambirasa Thisanandan, 17, were reunited at Ambepusse after the the Tigers took them from their family. Jagadiswary was taken in June 2008 and drafted into a mortar unit before being captured; her brother was dragooned in February this year. He had spent 15 days with the rebels before escaping and surrendering.

Afterwards he was taken to Vavuniya with his parents. „They told us there that those who were in the LTTE should register, so I did,“ he said. „Then they told me they would separate us from our parents.“

Die Regierung lähnt auch immer noch eine unabhängige Untersuchung ab, da sich angeblich die eigenen Berichte damit beschäftigen werden.
Wahrscheinlich hat man auch einiges zu verbregen…

Advertisements

Schreibe einen Kommentar »

Es gibt noch keine Kommentare.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Kommentar verfassen

Trage deine Daten unten ein oder klicke ein Icon um dich einzuloggen:

WordPress.com-Logo

Du kommentierst mit Deinem WordPress.com-Konto. Abmelden / Ändern )

Twitter-Bild

Du kommentierst mit Deinem Twitter-Konto. Abmelden / Ändern )

Facebook-Foto

Du kommentierst mit Deinem Facebook-Konto. Abmelden / Ändern )

Google+ Foto

Du kommentierst mit Deinem Google+-Konto. Abmelden / Ändern )

Verbinde mit %s

Erstelle eine kostenlose Website oder Blog – auf WordPress.com.

%d Bloggern gefällt das: