Arki's Blog – Wer alles glaubt, muss nichts wissen.

30. Mai 2009

20.000? *Update

Filed under: Politik,Wirres Zeug — mrarkadin @ 23:40
Tags: , ,

Laut der Times wurden in den letzten Zügen des Bürgerkrieges in Sri Lanka über 20.000 tamilische Zivilisten getötet, die meisten durch Beschuss der Regierungstruppen. Die Opferzahl ist drei mal höher als die offiziellen Zahlen. Die Sri lankische Regierung beharrt darauf, das seit dem 27. April keine schweren Waffen mehr eingesetzt wurden, und die Schutzzone für 100.000 Tamilen beachtete. Sie beschuldigte die Tamilischen Befreiungstiger, welche sich unter den Zivilisten verbargen, für alle zivilen Opfer.
Aber nach Luftaufnahmen, offiziellen Dokumenten, Zeugenaussagen & Sachverständigenaussagen startete die Regierungsarmee ab Ende April ein 3 Wochen andauerndes Sperrfeuer.
Vertrauliche UN-Dokumente verzeichneten fast 7.000 Tote in der Schutzzone bis Ende April. Nach UN-Quellen stieg dann die Ziffer an, bis zum 19. Mai wurden täglich 1.000 Zivilisten getötet, ein Tag, nachdem der Anführer der Befreiungstiger getötet worden war.

Nach einem weiteren Times-Artikel wurde dem obersten Gehilfe des Generalsekretärs der Vereinten Nationen, Ban Ki Moon, die hohe Opferzahl von 20.000 schon seit über einer Woche erzählt, trotzdem erwähnte Ban Ki Monn während seiner Besichtigung im Kampfgebiet diese nicht.

Es gibt immer mehr Aufforderungen für ein Kriegsverbrechertribunal.

Sri Lanka officially declared victory in its 26-year civil war with the Tigers early last week after killing almost all of their leadership, including Velupillai Prabhakaran, their founder, in a tiny patch of coconut grove on the northeastern coast.

Backed by China, Russia and other allies, Sri Lanka also easily defeated a proposal for a war crimes inquiry at a special session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The new civilian death toll figure has prompted new calls for an inquiry, which could still be ordered by Ban Ki Moon, the UN Secretary-General, or by Navi Pillay, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.

Human rights groups, aid workers and numerous civilian witnesses have accused the Tigers and government forces of repeatedly firing on non-combatants in violation of international humanitarian law. The Tigers have also been accused of using civilians as human shields and recruiting children forcibly, while the army has been accused of deliberately shelling hospitals in the conflict zone.

Brad Adams, Asia director of Human Rights Watch, told The Times: “There’s no doubt there’s a need for a war crimes inquiry. The whole operation has been done in secret and the scale of deaths is so large that it has to be investigated. This is not going to go away.”

The UN and the Red Cross also complained today that the Sri Lankan Government was still refusing to provide aid workers with full access to the former conflict zone despite a direct appeal by the UN Secretary General.

Noch ein Artikel auf Reuters.

Sri Lanka dementiert heftig die Zahlen. Noch ein BBC-Artikel.

The figures published in The Times newspaper in the UK – quoting official documents and witness accounts – is far higher than previously thought.

A senior official from Sri Lanka’s Centre for National Security told the BBC the accusations were totally false.

The UN says that there are no confirmed estimates of civilian casualties.

The last time it gave an estimate was about two weeks before the end of the war, when it said that 6,500 people had died.

But the UN Resident Co-ordinator for Sri Lanka, Neil Buhne, has told the BBC that he has no final figure in part because access to displaced people in camps is restricted by the government.

Aid agencies point out that its insistence that only about 110,000 civilians were trapped in fighting in the north – and its condemnation of UN figures saying the true figure was twice that – was followed by more than 250,000 civilians emerging from the area.

(more…)

Werbeanzeigen

Bloggen auf WordPress.com.